Student Visas Australia – A Brief Guide
What is the Student Visa 500?
The Subclass 500 is one of the Student Visas in Australia for international students and allows them to remain in Australia for up to 5 years if they wish and will to complete full-time study at an Australian educational institution. With this Australian Student Visa, students can:
- take part in a course of study based on their eligibility
- include their family members in their application (your spouse or their dependent children)
- apply online for a course in or outside Australia
- work up to 40 hours every 2 weeks once their course begins
Student Visas Australia generally, and specifically, this Subclass 500, cost from around AUD630, unless exempted from paying the visa application fee. The processing times for the application of Student Visas Australia varies.
Eligibility Criteria for Student Visas Australia
To be eligible for a Student Visa in Australia one must:
- be enrolled in a course of study in Australia
- hold Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), or fall in one of the categories of exemption
- be at least 6 years of age or older
- prove their welfare arrangement if under 18
- hold an eligible substantive visa if in Australia
How to get a Student Visa for Australia?
In order to study in Australia, international students are required to obtain a Students Visa for Australia. They will required to show the Department of Home Affairs of Australia that they meet all necessary requirements to get the Students Visa Australia, such as:
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement
- Financial requirements
- English Language proficiency test score requirements
- Health and character requirements
- Students Visa Australia application form
- Paid visa application fee
- In some cases, they may even appear for an interview.
What is a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)?
The Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE), introduced by the Australian Government in 2011, requires a genuine intent – by the student applicant applying for a Students Visa Australia – of staying temporarily in Australia for the study purposes, or to accompany another applicant/student as his/her spouse, child, or guardian. The GTE request is then considered by the Department of Home Affairs that will consider factors like:
- The circumstances in the home country of the applicant
- The circumstances for the student in Australia
- The worth of your chosen course in your professional future
- The applicant’s visa history
Completing an Application Form for Student Visa Australia
All international aspirants apply for the same student visa for Australia. The Student Visa Subclass 500, which is an online application process. Before applying for this visa, you will need to get a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE), Letter of Acceptance (LOA). Or Letter of Offer to prove that you have been accepted into a course that has been registered under the Commonwealth Register of Institutions of Courses (CRICOS). The COE is an online code that is required to be entered into a certain designated section in the online visa application form for the Students Visa Australia. You may also have to pay a tuition fee deposit.
If you wish to change your chosen course of study at the same or a higher level of study, you can do so afterwards. But will need to apply for a fresh new Students Visa for Australia. If you are choosing a lower level course on the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) or a non-AQF level course. You are also allowed to package your higher studies in Australia. By choosing to study two or more courses on your Australian Student Visa (Subclass 500). If a clear progression from one course to another is available.
Study Mode Requirements for Students Visa Australia holders
Considering the COVID-19 travel restrictions, all holders of Students Visas Australia are exempted from the following conditions that require them to:
- Get enrolled in at least one on-campus subject every half-year period unless it is they are into the final semester of their entire study period, and;
- Reduce the number of courses they plan to undertake online (no more than 1/3 of the study programmer).
Once these COVID-19 travel restrictions are eased, Students Visa Australia holders will no longer be exempted from the aforementioned conditions, and will be bound to fulfill them.
Course Duration and Study Load for Student Visa Australia Holders
While studying on an Australian Student Visa, students are required to complete their desired chosen course in which they have enrolled by the time their student visa expires. Unless they have received an approval for a COE extension for a valid reason. In 2020, the Australian Government automatically approved a reduction in study loads due to the heavy negative impact of COVID-19. If a student was on a part-time study load in 2020, and is no longer on track to complete his course by the visa expiry date. He/she is advised to consult a course advisor to map out their remaining subjects. In 2021 and 2022, the Government of Australia demands that students either remain full-time enrolled at a load of 50 credit points every half-year period or that they apply for a reduced study load if they are not able to enroll due to any serious and convincing reasons.