Canon Printer in Error State? Resolve the Issue Confidently
Today, printers play an essential role in almost every domain. Working professionals especially need a high-performing printer that can manage all their printing tasks smoothly and efficiently. Canon is a renowned name in the printer market at present. Its advanced high-quality printers don’t just print but also fax, scan, and create duplex copies. However, like a technical machine, the printers from this brand are also prone to specific errors and glitches. Canon printer in error state is a problem that users have reported multiple times. If you, too are bothered by this error, don’t worry. We have various canon printer troubleshooting techniques at your disposal.
What Results in Canon Printer in Error State?
This problem can point to various issues in your software or printer. The following are some of the most prevalent reasons.
- Improper installation of printer drivers.
- Connectivity issues.
- Incompatible drivers or software.
- A BIOSS issue.
- Wrong connection of wires or USB cables.
- Canon printer is offline
- Obsolete printer drivers.
- You haven’t set canon printer as your default printer.
- The printer spooler isn’t on automatic mode.
- Problems in port settings.
Fixes to Try on Finding Your Canon Printer in Error State
When your Canon printer is in an error state, it can put a halt to all your printing jobs. At this time, you should employ the Canon printer troubleshooting techniques.
Verify the appropriate connection between the Canon printer and your computer
The first measure is to check that there’s a suitable connection between your printing device and PC. Some steps to take for it are as follows.
- Ensure that there aren’t any problems with the network or wireless cable you utilize.
- If there’s a problem between connections, you should make the power connection.
- After verifying connections, take a test print.
Bring your Canon printer in online mode.
This issue often stems from the Canon printer being offline mode. You can disable the offline mode by following these steps.
- Navigate to the ‘Control Panel’ on your PC.
- Now choose ‘Devices and Printers and then select your printer model.
- If you find your Canon printer is in an offline state, right-tap it and uncheck the ‘Use Printer Offline’ option.
- Your printer will become online, and the error state problem will get resolved.
Resolve port issues
Users who have recently updated to Windows 10 are likely to report error state cases. It’s because Windows 10 has certain issues with ports when it comes to printing devices. To troubleshoot the Canon printer in error state problem in Windows 10, follow these points.
- Navigate to ‘Device Manager’ by right-tapping the ‘Start’ menu.
- On its window, tap the ‘View’ menu and choose the option of ‘Show hidden devices’ from the dropdown.
- You will notice ‘Ports (COM & LPT)’ options in the ‘Device Manager.’ Expand this category. Then right-tap the ‘Printer Port.’
- You’ll notice a popup menu appearing. Click on ‘Properties.’
- Now tap the ‘Port Settings’ tab.
- From the given options, select ‘Use any interrupt assigned to the port.’
- After that, check the box that reads ‘Enable Legacy Plug and Play Detection.’
- After you make the selections, hit ‘OK’ to save the changes. Close the ‘Device Manager.’
- Restart your PC and use your printer.
Update your Canon printer driver.
The error state in the Canon printer can also come about because of obsolete printer drivers. Follow these steps to update your printer driver. You can also update it through the Device Manager.
- Navigate to the website of Canon printer set up.
- Search for the latest Canon printer driver version.
- After you find them, hit the ‘Download’ button.
- Now, install the downloaded file on your PC.
- To install the printer drivers, follow the guidelines displayed on your screen. Ensure that the printer is connected to your PC throughout this process.
- When you are done, press ‘Finish.’
- Now, start your system or printer again.
Steps to update Canon printer driver using Device Manager
- Launch the window of ‘Device Management’ via ‘CMD > devmgmt.msc through the ‘Run’ dialog box.
- From the window of ‘Device Management’, go to the ‘Print Queue’ category. Then expand it.
- Right-tap on your printing device and then select ‘Update Driver.’
- Tap the ‘Automatically search for updated driver software option and start your PC again.
Set the spooler service on automatic mode
Yet another effective Canon printer troubleshooting technique is to set the spooler service on automatic mode. Follow these points for implementing it.
- Launch the ‘Control Panel’ from the search box.
- Then enter ‘services.msc’ on the search box. Press Enter.
- Next, scroll down and locate the spooler service. It’s on the right pane. Ensure that it’s set to ‘Start.’
- Next, right-click on ‘Spooler’ and choose ‘Properties.’
- Click the ‘General’ tab. After that, select the startup type to ‘Automatic’ using the dropdown menu.
- Click ‘Apply’ and then hit the ‘OK’ button.
- Next, exit the service window. Now restart your system.
- This process will resolve the Canon printer in error state problem.
Set your Canon printer as the default
You’ll inevitably face the error state problem when you have not set your printer as default. So check that you have configured it as the default printer. Follow these points.
- Use the ‘Run’ dialogue box to open the ‘Control Panel.’
- Now navigate to the section of ‘Device and Printers.’
- Choose your Canon printer. Right-click on your printer model.
- Choose the option ‘Set as Default Printer from the list that appears.
- You’ll notice that your printer has a green checkmark on it.
- You have set your device on default mode. It will resolve the problem you are facing.
These troubleshooting techniques will aid you whenever you find your Canon printer in an error state. Follow the different methods, and don’t forget to keep your Canon printer and software updated at all times. If you still find yourself troubled with this issue, you shouldn’t wait to seek the help of professional customer services. The experts will troubleshoot all the internal problems in your printer, so it works optimally.